Kayaköy village Karmilissos Fethiye : The Abandoned Village
Kayaköy is a village of Fethiye. It was known as Karmilissos in ancient time. The village dates back to 3rd century BC according to philological data. However, we haven’t been able to discover any findings dating back to older than 4th century BC. All of the building groups on the hillside of the town were built by Greeks. They settled there in the second half of the 19th century. In the first quarter of the 20th century, Ottoman Empire granted rights to minorities so that they could settle there. The village was abandoned owing to the Population Exchange between Greece and Türkiye. As a result, the wooden doors, windows and exterior of the houses decayed due to lack of maintenance.
The village appears like a ghost city. Before abandoned, the 350-400 houses were built in a way that they wouldn’t obstruct each other’s view and light. The two-story buildings were not bigger than 50 sqm. The ground floors generally served as warehouse. Each house had an underground cistern, which the rain water rom the roof accumulated in. Besides the residences, there are many chapels among the houses, two large churches, a school building and a customs building.
How to get to Fethiye from Antalya?
- Bus: There are several bus companies operating between Antalya and Fethiye, such as Pamukkale Turizm, Kamil Koç, and Metro Turizm. The journey takes approximately 3 to 4 hours, depending on traffic and the route. You can buy tickets at the bus station or online.
- Car Rental: Renting a car is a convenient option if you want flexibility and the ability to explore at your own pace. Several car rental companies are available in Antalya. The drive to the destination takes about 3 hours via the D400 highway, covering a distance of around 200 km (124 miles). Here is the google maps link of the route.
- Private Transfer: You can book a private transfer for a more comfortable and hassle-free journey. Bookaway offers this service, and you can check their price and hours online. You shouldn’t miss the budget friendly price list. The driver will pick you up in Antalya and take you directly to your destination in Fethiye. The journey takes approximately 3 hours.
- Taxi: Taking a taxi from Antalya to Fethiye is possible, but it might be expensive due to the long distance. Make sure to negotiate the fare or ensure the taxi is metered before starting the journey.
How to get to Fethiye from Dalaman Airport?
- Shuttle Bus: Havas and Muttaş are two airport shuttle services that operate between Dalaman Airport and Fethiye. The journey takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Tickets can be purchased at the airport or online.
- Taxi: Taxis are available at the airport 24/7. The journey to Fethiye takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic. Be prepared to negotiate the fare or ensure the taxi is metered.
- Private Transfer: For a more comfortable and hassle-free journey, you can book a private transfer in advance. Bookaway offers this service, and you can check their price and hours online. You shouldn’t miss the budget friendly price list. The driver will meet you at the airport and take you directly to your destination in Fethiye.
- Car Rental: If you prefer to drive yourself, several car rental companies operate at Dalaman Airport. You can book a car in advance or upon arrival. The drive to Fethiye takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Here is the google maps link of the route.